Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Shanghai: Mercato by Jean-Georges

Mercato 
Address: 3 Zhong Shan Dong Yi Lu 6th Floor near Guang Dong Lu
中山东一路3号外滩3号6楼(近广东路)
Price: ¥238/person
Food: 4/5
Recommended?: I suppose so, but it's quite pricey and the portions are small.

Located right on the Bund, it was hard to find the entrance of this place so we walked around back and forth before realizing the entrance was a turn into the street and not on the main street. 

You have a nice view of the Pudong from the windows, and we weren’t right by the window, but that’s okay.

While waiting for our friend to get here, we munched and munched on the complimentary bread, at least I did anyways. 

We decided to do family style just because everything sounded so good.. 

Photos aren't so good because it was so dim at the restaurant! I hope I didn’t make a mistake with the dishes:
Fresh Spaghetti with Blue Mussels, White Wine, Fennel, Chili and Tomato
Porcini Crusted Salmon, Warm Leek Vinaigrette and Herbs
Can't really mess up salmon...it was nice and tender.
Wood Oven Roasted Asparagus, Fontina and Prosciutto 
Prosciutto San Daniele, Four Cheeses and Arugula Pizza
I think I remember not liking this one.
Lobster and Shrimp Ravioli, Olive Oil Lemon and Herbs 
Soooo good when it was still warm. You can actually taste the fillings and it's not just mush.
Tiramisu
Caramelized Lemon Tart, Pinoli, Mascarpone Cream, Basil Sorbet
The basil sorbet was quite interesting. It's kind of like when I tried the olive oil gelato. It's not something I can stand eating all the time though. This dessert dish was really refreshing. 

I can't do a thorough review because:
1) I'm a bad judge of food
2) It's been so long that I forgot how it actually tasted anyways

We also spent too much time taking pictures that the food was starting to get cold. Maybe that's why I wasn't entirely a fan of the food, or maybe it just didn't suit my taste buds. Definitely better than your average restaurant. The "large" isn't really that big tbh. It would be equivalent to maybe 60% of a dish from The Cheesecake Factory. 

I rarely eat out at nice places in Shanghai, so thought it would be nice to dedicate a post to this. 

Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment