It works if you push it from the bottom, but I couldn't get it to meet one of the requirements: to be able to stay on. It can only stay on if I keep pushing the button. It's not very physically appealing either lol, but I needed a way to get all the pieces to stay.
I used mold putty to create the shape to keep the batteries and wire together. But I made a slit on it to take out the batteries, which ended up being too big and the slit got bigger, so I folded the entire thing with aluminum foil so nothing would fall out. Afterwards, I wrapped it with cling wrap to keep the foil together and also the battery from falling off. And TADAHH! There you have it, my fail flashlight.